Monday, January 12, 2015

An Addictive Hobby

Get a hobby, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

So under all the stress from the pharmacology program, I have to admit there were days I didn't feel like getting out of bed. There were days when I wish that there was a pause button for life. However, the solution was simple, get a hobby. At least that's what I heard. That is, until I actually tried something only to find that hobbies take up a lot of time (good thing I started the experiment during the holiday break).

Here is what happened. A friend bought me a baby beta from the pet store. The act was innocent enough, except he had no idea the monster he had unleashed in me when he presented me the helpless little thing in a tiny beta bowl with his tiny artificial plant.


He was about half an inch long when I brought him home, and only starting to develop color at this stage. I did some research online and after reading through about a dozen or so websites that all said a beta should have at least a gallon of water to live in, I decided to upgrade my baby beta's home. I ordered a 3 gallon fish tank from Amazon. About an hour after I placed the order for the fish tank I started reading about general fish keeping on the Internet. I learned that fish are happier and healthier if they are kept with live aquatic plants. I researched what type of aquatic plants are best with betas (ones with broad leaves that won't tear the beta's long fins) and which aquatic plants are low maintenance. One thing led to another, I ordered some live aquatic plants, aquarium substrate with live bacteria, CO2 pumps for the plants, full spectrum LED lights, and under gravel heater.


I have always wanted an aquarium with a wall of moss. What can I say. 


The baby beta has now grown to almost two inches in length with a black body and blue highlights in his tail fin. I think he likes his new tank.


Next stop, some tank mates. I'm thinking rainbow-colored shrimps.



Volunteer hours for this month:
12/16/2014    Villalobos Rescue Center                                    1.5 hrs
12/17/2014    St. Joseph's Hospice                                             4 hrs
01/06/2015    Villalobos Rescue Center                                    1.5 hrs
01/11/2015    St Joseph's Hospice/Covenant Nursing Home     2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment