Friday, October 17, 2014

Habitat for Humanity (Take #2)

I had such a great experience volunteering at Habitat for Humanity last time that I decided to do it again. This time our group was graced with some shade and light rain in the afternoon. Two of my fellow classmates and I got assigned to attic duty (i.e. putting up insulation) and the three of us quickly worked up a good sweat. When I walked outside with sweat dripping down I felt invincible. The homeowner was working with us on this particular day. She was a very sweet lady, always smiling and eager to land a hand. Her and I formed an assembly line to carry the insulation up to the attic, and she told me all about her family as we worked. It made the work feel so much more meaningful to have the opportunity to meet the homeowner and interact with her. This volunteering was a completely different experience from the first time.
As we progress through the program I have more and more appreciation for practicing physicians. The intricacies of the human body, the disease states, and how the drugs interact with the body to alter the disease state intertwine to tell a delicate story that is pharmacology. There are so many variables that need to be considered in any given scenario with the patients' wellbeing at stake. I cannot wait to go to medical school after this program so I can learn about the rest of the story of medicine.

Volunteer hour tally:
9/6    0745-1700    Habitat for Humanity (8 hrs)
9/13  0745-1600    Habitat for Humanity (8 hrs)
10/3  1400-1800    KIPP (4 hrs)
10/4  1000-1500    KIPP (5 hrs)
10/7  1400-1700    KIPP (3 hrs)
10/8  1300-1600    KIPP (3 hrs)

No comments:

Post a Comment